Page 136 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136
Results 2,701 to 2,714 of 2714

Thread: Rambling and Gambling

Grade 1 Member
    I'm still here, broke my phone a while back and forgot my password.

Grade 1 Member
    I was gonna start this by saying that i will probably be talking to myself but i've just noticed Typhoon has posted on here. I never see a soul on here when i look in but i have to get this off my chest and this place will do.
    We are contemplating going to Hexham on Saturday and i checked the website and it is still 12 admission if i book before the day. For such a beautiful track, with a gorgeous backdrop and a friendly "racing crowd", along with the sort of racing i love, it is excellent value.

Now to get this off my chest !!

Contrast that 12 for Hexham with the totally obscene admission charges to get into Chester on the same day.
    To get into the "Winning Post" enclosure - 130 !!! (Yes, you read that right !! )
    To get into the "Edinburgh Gin Garden" - 170 !!!
    To get into the "County Long Room" - 80 !!!
    To get into the "County Concourse" (where they excitedly tell you that you will be able to see the "final stages of every race") - 63 !!!
    To get into the "Tattersalls Enclosure" (the one we all probably go in when we go racing) - 48 !!!

They are clearly mad ! They are clearly delusional ! They have clearly lost touch with reality !
    Chester cater for the Michael Owen type crowd. The footballers, the wealthy business people, the "well to do". They want the pissheads, the "Peaky Blinders" crowd.
    What about the "proper" racing folk People like you ! People like me ! Clearly they dont want "that sort" They want the wealthy and the drinkers.
    And then they wonder why their crowds are dropping year on year. I was looking at their yearly figures and the decline is there for all to see. And yet a spokesman for the track was blaming the "after effects of covid", the cost of living crisis, the fuel prices, doubts over trains running etc. Anything except the f**king ridiculous prices that they are charging anyone mad enough to pay those prices.

And before anybody asks, those prices are for admission only. No drink, no food !!!
    "There are plenty of food and drink outlets for racegoers to use" says the track. And i can only imagine what the prices will be.

And some people wonder why racing is dying and attendances are dropping year after year.
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; 11th June 2024 at 06:41.

3. 3 Thanks from:
    Fridge, Islander, Punjabipal

It's disgraceful QC, but I don't think it is solely a racing problem but more of a reflection on the wealth gap within society.
    The gap between the wealthier and the ordinary man has never been so wide in my memory.
    The working man has now been priced out of attending top level football matches, with the ridiculous ticket prices and I'm sure it is reflected in many sports.
    After our discussion about Scotland the other day, I had a quick look at Royal Dornoch Golf Club, mindful of my 50th next year and the possibility of revisiting somewhere I played with my dad around 30 years ago. The green fee for a single round during the summer is 280!! I must admit it really took me aback! 280 quid for a single round of golf and totally unaffordable.
    Quite apart from being wholly unaffordable it is actually totally immoral to consider paying such a price for a few hours of fun, or three figures to watch a 90 minute football match when people are struggling to pay bills or put food on the table.
    A very sad reflection on how the balance seems to have been totally lost!

Grade 1 Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yddraig View Post
    It's disgraceful QC, but I don't think it is solely a racing problem but more of a reflection on the wealth gap within society.
    The gap between the wealthier and the ordinary man has never been so wide in my memory.
    The working man has now been priced out of attending top level football matches, with the ridiculous ticket prices and I'm sure it is reflected in many sports.
    After our discussion about Scotland the other day, I had a quick look at Royal Dornoch Golf Club, mindful of my 50th next year and the possibility of revisiting somewhere I played with my dad around 30 years ago. The green fee for a single round during the summer is 280!! I must admit it really took me aback! 280 quid for a single round of golf and totally unaffordable.
    Quite apart from being wholly unaffordable it is actually totally immoral to consider paying such a price for a few hours of fun, or three figures to watch a 90 minute football match when people are struggling to pay bills or put food on the table.
    A very sad reflection on how the balance seems to have been totally lost!
    I couldnt agree more mate.
    Just as a matter of interest, i looked up the price of the green fees at North Berwick Golf Club. We parked up there for an hour on the way up last week. It was a lovely little town with some nice shops and cafes, a lovely beach walk and of course, Bass Rock sits just off the coast.
    But the green fees were just as bad. That said, they charge that much because people pay it and it is fully booked for the rest of this year. But it is possible to book for 2025 and the single round price is 285. That is absolutely ridiculous !! And what is worse is that it is half price for juniors. 142.50 for a youngster to play !!!!!!!!

As you say, the working man is being priced out of a lot of things. I would never pay the ridiculous sums they charge to go and watch a football match these days and i certainly wouldnt allow myself to be ripped off in broad daylight by the likes of Chester Racecourse.
    A part of me is saying dont go to Hexham on Saturday and just let ALL racecourses suffer because of their greed. But Hexham always make the effort and at 12, it is a price that nobody could moan at. Especially with it being MY type of racing. And better still, The vast majority will be PROPER racegoers. There for the thrills and spills of jump racing. And not there to see who can look the most ridiculous and who can get the most pissed.

As i have said many times on here, (too many times), racecourses are out of touch with reality. They seem to think that racing is important. They seem to think that it is a "major sporting event". Those days are long gone and will never return. PROPER punters and PROPER racegoers are dying off or staying away. But they seem oblivious to it !!!!

6. 1 Thanks from:
    Yddraig

Grade 1 Member
    I was sorry to hear of the passing of Johnathan Neesom. He was one of the very few "pundits" i would turn my sound on for occasionally and listen to what he had to say. I never acted upon anything he said but in a (racing) world where all these so called "experts" think that they are errr "experts", he was one of the very, very few who didnt take himself too seriously. And he liked getting stuck into his form and better still, he didnt suffer fools gladly. Without him being too blatant, it was always noticeable when he was paired to work with a clueless clown at a meeting. I didnt need the sound on to tell.

Grade 1 Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
    Haha. I'd say there was some amount of talking pony at that place.

There were some good lads on there.

But one point i will make. When i looked in on here before i posted, i read that there were 8 members on here in the last 24hrs. That doesnt include all those long name aliens who have never posted and never will. But on that other forum, although there would sometimes be 12 or 13 members logged in, there were not that many "regular" posters. And considering that there have been 8 on here in the last 24hrs, that number wont be far behind the number of posters on the other site. So if all 8 posted once or twice a day, and a few of the missing did likewise, this place could be busy again.

Just a thought.

Grade 1 Member
    No takers for posting anything so i'll put a few up here for future reference which need watching closely over the summer and i'll come back on in a few months time and see how they fared.
    A) it will be a bit of reading for you all and B) it will be horses to watch and punt instead of me just whinging all the time. That said, there is plenty to whinge about where racing is concerned.

Dr Sanderson - He is entered at Market Rasen on Friday. He is now down to a mark of 91 which is of course the lowest he has ever been . I think that this 2m 3f trip is his ideal distance these days. He just doesnt seem quick enough for 2m now and he has never won beyond 2m 5f and somewhere in between seems perfect. They have never even tried him beyond 2m 5f which tells me that they know he doesnt stay any further.
    It may be Friday, it may not be, but i'm sure they will squeeze another win out of him.

Tommy G - Yes !!! A flat horse. Now down to his lowest mark since May 2021. There is still life in the old horse but the 7f that he was forced to race over last time out was completely inadequate. That is obviously why they ran him over it. Nine or ten furlongs is his ideal trip but i still think he can win over a mile if Goldie can find him a very bad race. He finished eighth of ten last time out but was only beaten five lengths. Another "masterclass" from Mulrennan. That just told me that the day is coming.
    I might have to break my "no flat bets ban" for this one.

Bensini - This one looked the winner going to the second from home in a chase at Worcester a couple of weeks ago only to hit it and although Liam Harrison tried a hard as he could to stay onboard, gravity took charge and the jock went out the side door. The trainer, Robbie Llewellyn has him back over hurdles on Friday at Market Rasen and although he is currently number 26 and the max field size is 17, i think they may split the race and have two divisions. That said, he still may get a run without the division.
    I think he will pick up a race in the coming month or two.

Ciel De Neige. - Yet another green and gold hoops.
    This one, like all the others who join Ben Haslam, has tumbled down the handicap and from being on 145 when he joined Ben in December, he is now down to 123. The handicapper has kindly dropped him 2lb from last time out at Cartmel where he finished fourth to Al Zaraqaan of Sam's but that doesnt tell the whole story. He was going well when he made a mistake at the water which is four from home. That cost him momentum and a couple of lengths. But he was more or less with them at the last and, in my opinion, could possibly have got the rails run on the last bend and then who knows what would have happened. My immediate thoughts were that it wasnt "the day." He will stay up to two and a half miles and there are definitely more races to be won with this lad. He was rated 152 at best when running off that mark in the Topham at Aintree last year. He goes on any ground and can go both left and right handed. I wouldnt be surprised if they put him in the Summer Plate at Market Rasen next month but that 2m 5f trip may just stretch him. More so when you consider that the races there are always run over a furlong or more than the advertised race distance.
    He has no entries at the moment but i will be keeping a close eye on them.

I still think that there is a chance of a win or a place at a nice price with Ingleby Mackenzie who was never really put in the race with a chance at Market Rasen last time out. There was a bit of money for him that day which was his first start for James Ewart. He is a more than capable trainer and although the horse has now dropped to a mark of 69 i still think there is a bit of life in the old bugger. He is actually entered in the same race as Dr Sanderson so it could get interesting although i would have to favour the doctor.

There were a few more but i've run out of time. Apparently i am making lunch today. But there are a few there to watch and hopefully some of you may make a few quid out of them.
    I will come back on at some stage and see what has been happening.
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; Yesterday at 11:03.

10. 2 Thanks from:
    petemarik, Yddraig

Thanks QC for your time and effort with this! Oh and enjoy your lunch

The Navigator down to run Wednesday at Hamilton, thoughts?
    Last edited by Islander; Yesterday at 13:11.

Grade 1 Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post

Ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!

Every chance. I didnt think the horse was given a chance of winning last time and the run just screamed to me that there will be another day. He reopposes the horse that won the race last time, Twoforthegutter, on 10lb better terms for the five lengths he was beaten which may be enough but you also have to factor in the extra furlong, which will suit The Navigator, and also the fact that Wednesday might be "the day" l Last time wasnt !!!
    The young kid on top is well worth his 5lb claim and all things look set for a big run. Unfortunately, unless the fraudsters completely lose their marbles, it wont be my sort of price.

Of the others, Crystal Guard won a very bad race the other day and i would give more of a chance to Laudable and Trailblazer.
    I was looking at our old friend Pammi and was shocked to find that her only win on the flat came seven years ago ! She did us a few good turns over hurdles, especially around Perth, where seven of her eight hurdles wins have come. I do recall that i actually backed her when she won her only other hurdle race at Musselburgh.
    She didnt run too badly at Perth last week and the first time visor may just perk her up a bit.

Whilst still on Pammi, i did have a chuckle to myself when it ran at Perth recently. For all those people who just follow whatever is blue across the board on Oddschecker (tipsters etc), their eyes must have lit up when there was a sea of blue alongside Pammi just after teatime. But it wasnt a massive gamble. It was just the fact that one firm went far too big on her and then the lazy, clueless copy and pasters, all followed suit. And yes, i will repeat what i always say. If one firm have got the price wrong and have gone too big, then all the firms who have copied are now wrong as well.
    Bet365 opened 9/1. The other went 25's.
    SP was 7/1.
    Just for balance, a 4/1 chance was withdrawn in the run up to the race but the 25/1 was clearly a mile out.

Lets hope they go mad prices about a few this week.

Grade 1 Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post

Spicy chorizo pasta with a rich tomato sauce.

Theirshegoes entered in the first at Hexham but she's had her win.

Grade 1 Member
    Ciel De Neige entered in a handicap hurdle at Hexham on Sunday.

It will be interesting to see what mark they allot it. It hasnt run over hurdles since November 2021 and ran off 140 that day and was dropped to a mark of 138 after that. They obviously wont give it 138 now so i await their decision.
    Its got to be near its chase mark of 123.
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; Yesterday at 17:00.

15. 2 Thanks from:
    petemarik, Punjabipal

Grade 1 Member
    Very kind of you to spend all that time with your thoughts, wish I had the same sort of knowledge. Thank you.

Grade 1 Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixall Crossett View Post
    Ciel De Neige entered in a handicap hurdle at Hexham on Sunday.

It will be interesting to see what mark they allot it. It hasnt run over hurdles since November 2021 and ran off 140 that day and was dropped to a mark of 138 after that. They obviously wont give it 138 now so i await their decision.
    Its got to be near its chase mark of 123.
    Well, well, well. There's a surprise. And a nice one for a change.
    The revised handicap marks which were issued earlier this morning have put Ciel De Neige's chase rating down a pound to 122. But pleasingly, they have reassessed his hurdle mark and put him on 115 !!!!!!!!!!
    That hurdle mark must surely give Ben something to think about. The horse is only nine and more than capable of winning plenty more races.
    I was of the opinion that chasing was his game for the rest of his career but maybe that might alter his plans.

We will see !

(Just to show that the BHA and their website are as useless as each other, when you click on Ciel De Neige for all the latest info, it says that the horse has "no current entries".
    So i must be dreaming that he is entered in the Hexham 3.48 race on Sunday).
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; Today at 07:22.

Grade 1 Member
    Time to list one more horse to watch for the summer before i am off out for coffee.

Francky Du Berlais. - This horse had been well beaten in his two starts this year before going to Perth a couple of weeks ago. He was out the back for most of the race and was sixth turning for home with three to jump and being pushed along. Going to the last he was still sixth around eight lengths off the leaders but stayed on really well up the run in to snatch third beaten just over three lengths. That was over two and a half miles that day but the horse does stay, and prefer, a few furlongs longer. He loves Market Rasen and has won the Summer plate there twice in the past. He won it off marks of 137 and 139 and is currently rated 132. I am in no doubt that he will head back there again for the race next month but he is also entered in the Summer Plate Trial on Friday. I think everybody and his dog will have seen him staying on at Perth and will have gone in a few notebooks.
    But He has a decent record at Uttoxeter and his course form reads 3113. That track have their Summer Cup on the 30th of this month and he may well go there.
    Another one for you to keep your eye on.
    He is 11 years old and getting on a bit now (arent we all) but is still capable of winning races.
    Last edited by Quixall Crossett; Today at 07:26.

19. 3 Thanks from:
    Islander, petemarik, Yddraig